Thursday, November 28, 2013

A heart full of gratitude


“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows”
-James 1: 17

Each Thanksgiving, my family gathers together to eat fabulous food, laugh until our sides hurt, and most importantly, give thanks to God, from whom all blessings come. This Thanksgiving, I cannot be home with my family. I cannot indulge in the WONDERFUL food my aunts, grandmother and cousins prepare. I cannot enjoy the ridiculous jokes my grandfather tells. Even so, this Thanksgiving, I have a heart FULL of gratitude.

Living in Akatsi, Ghana for the past 3 months has taught me that we truly have SO many things that we take for granted. I have learned to be thankful for running water, electricity, a refrigerator, quality medical care and so so much more. In America we are so fortunate to have our basic needs met on a regular basis. That’s far more than most of the world can say.

Our girls came from a place where life is much harder. They lived in mud huts, slept on the floor, worked long hours, ate and slept little. Now they have three meals a day, running water, new clothes and a “family” that loves them very much. I have never seen anyone so thrilled to have such simple things! The first time these girls saw a sink they giggled endlessly and could have played in the water for hours had we let them! Mama Celestine announced that she purchased new flip-flops for the girls and they shrieked with delight and ran to the courtyard to see their new treasures! They slept on the concrete floor beside their bamboo bunk beds for the first few weeks because it was what they were used to doing.

We are so blessed. I cannot express the extent of my gratitude for everything I’ve been given! I have the privilege of living here at the Yellow House with my wonderful husband and eight beautiful girls! I get to wake up each morning to see eight beautiful smiling faces and spend all day listening to their broken English, bickering (no, they are not perfect), their laughter and energetic singing. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.


Happy Thanksgiving from Ghana!
 (This turned into "happy birthday" five seconds later) 



Love and miss you all!
Eat some turkey for us :)
Kate and Landon

5 comments:

  1. As I'm sure you do regularly, tell the girls they are loved by us (people they may well never meet this side of heaven) as well. What a joy it is to be a small part of this ministry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay-we are so thankful to you and Riverwalk for the HUGE part you play in this ministry :) Hope you and Pat had a great Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Turkey and cranberry relish will still be available when you return to us but what you are doing right now, in this moment is what the Lord called you to and we are behind you all the way! Sending love from Pa to ALL of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! Love you! Mmm please send some of that cranberry relish my way :)

      Delete
  3. Please know that we are praying for you and your beautiful family. God Bless!
    Love,
    The Stengel Family

    ReplyDelete