Friday, September 27, 2013

A Tribute to Fall

Living without an oven or refrigerator has required quite a bit of creativity! Meals are simple, wholesome, and delicious. However, many of you may know that I (Kate) have a sweet tooth, which is a bit more difficult to satisfy. I've been searching for dessert recipes that use very limited ingredients (no butter, chocolate or flour) and that can be cooked over the stove. Needless to say, it was difficult. But fortunately, I have found a delicious, simple dessert that fits all those requirements!

                             Fried Apples with cinnamon sugar!!!!!! (Fried with coconut oil)



Oh my goodness. SO delicious and extremely simple! I made one serving of this, and after Landon and I devoured it, immediately made another batch. :) The ingredients? apples, coconut oil, cinnamon, and brown sugar. This will be my apple pie substitute and my tribute to fall. :)

Rainy season is here in full force! It showers off and on almost every day, with occasional heavy downpours (which sound awesome on our tin roof). We love the cloud cover and the break from the heat! The temperature ranges from upper 80’s to lower 90’s, and all the Ghanaians are wearing sweatshirts and long pants! I’m a little nervous to see how hot it gets when rainy season is over….But for now, we will embrace the cooler weather.


In other news, Teddy and Ellie were able to meet with Touch of Life, the organization that will be facilitating the rescue, and we have received some direction of what to do next! We met with the social welfare department in Akatsi today, and are very excited to get things moving. The Eight Oaks home is looking great, and is only lacking a new coat of paint and some other small projects! We will begin furnishing the home soon, and will be sure to put pictures up. Landon and I are planning on starting a small garden very soon-we already have several fruit trees by the house including; plantain, mango, lime, and papaya-we can't wait until the fruits are ready to pick!

We are so glad to be here in Ghana, but we miss our friends and family very much! We hope you are all doing very well and enjoying the beginnings of Fall! Here are a few more pictures of Akatsi for you:

                                           

There are a surplus of goats and chickens here-
they roam the streets as they please! 
A typical street-view of Akatsi


With much love, 
Kate (for both of us)


8 comments:

  1. Hi Kate - Thank you so much for the update and pictures!!
    Do you have corn starch, vanilla and eggs? You can make vanilla / banana pudding on the stove. Let me know and I will send you the recipe. I will try to think of others as well.
    From your devo book today that I am reading..."Marvel at the wonder of communicating with the Creator of the universe from the comfort of your home. Kings are inaccessible and ordinary people have no audience; God is King and totally accessible."

    We are many miles apart, yet that does not matter. None of our thoughts escape the notice of God! I love you both very much!!
    Buffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Buffy! I actually thought of your delicious banana pudding..mmmm! I haven't seen cornstarch or vanilla, but I might have to search the next time we're in accra! If would love the recipe! (If not now, to use later) :) That is a good devotional!
      Love you too! Hope you guys are well!
      Kate

      Delete
  2. Yay! Thanks for posting. Looks awesome, the apples do look yummy :-) Glad everything is coming along so well and that the house is almost ready to furnish. Looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie!! We will definitely show you when it's ready :) Love you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update Kate. You are becoming very resorceful :) I'm excited to see some pictures of your new home when it is done. Praying for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Arete! We will definitely put some pictures up when it's ready! We're very excited to move in :) Thanks so much for praying! Send my love to your family! :)

      Delete
  4. I tried to comment a few seconds after you posted from SJU and it wouldn't take my comment from dad's iphone so I'm trying from home sweet home :)

    That's my girl! Resourceful AND creative (on the apple dessert). We enjoyed reading your post together - and of course loved the pics as well. Hope to talk to you AND see you soon! Love, mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey mom and dad!
      Glad to hear you made it home ok! Yes, I'm definitely learning to be resourceful :) Let me know if you guys want to viber tonight! Love you too! :)

      Delete