Friday, September 6, 2013

Akatsi, Ghana

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Ghana! After a long day of travel we met up with Ted and Ellie in Accra where we spent the night. We are now in Akatsi, which is where we are going to live!

We are currently staying in a temporary home while the Eight Oaks home (which is 15 minutes away) is being renovated. We were able to see the house yesterday; it is very spacious and has many fruit trees in the back yard! We think it will be a great home for the girls! The home is in a great location-it is a 15 minute walk from the market, and about a 5 minute walk from where the girls will eventually be going to school.  Right now, there is a mason, electrician, plumber and a carpenter working on the house. We’re not sure exactly how long the renovations will take, but the projected date for completion is October 1st!

The home that we are living in in the meantime is great! It is a cute little home that we share with Teddy, Ellie, and a Ghanaian friend named Wilson. We are learning to adjust to a simpler lifestyle. We have two squatty potties (similar to outhouses), wash our clothes by hand, and shower by dipping water out of buckets! We walk to the market to buy our food for the day, and are eating a lot of rice and vegetables. We are very blessed to have all that we need!

The Ghanaians are very friendly people! Whenever they see us coming on the road, they gather and yell “Yavu!” (The Ewe word for white person) and then they say “You are welcome.” We are excited to get to know some of the local people better.
We are so glad to finally be here, but we do miss our friends and family! Thank you so much for all of your prayers-they are much appreciated!

We will continue to keep you updated and will try to post some pictures soonJ
With much love,

Kate and Landon J

14 comments:

  1. It is SOOO good to hear from you Kate! Sounds like all is going well and you are settling in to your new (temporary) home. It will be encouraging to see the progress on the new house, I hope things move more quickly than they do in Latin America ha!
    Love you love you love you :)
    Mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update and please know any and all updates you have time and internet access to post, will be SO appreciated!
    I have been reading a devotional book you guys left at our house and today said, "This is My way of living in the world - through you. Together we will push back the darkness, for I am the Light of the world."
    May God bless you all with health, energy and compassion you need for your God sized task!
    Tell Teddy & Ellie hello and I love you all!!

    Buffy

    You said you are adjusting to a simpler lifestyle...I am sure Landon is in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quotes from Ava:

    "Where is Aunt Kate Aunt Kate? Aunt Kate and Uncle Landon are in Africa to give the girls a home. And they gave the kitty to a girl, because she doesn't have any toys."

    "Dear Ava, you remember that we built sand castles in the sand and read the bug book? Love, Aunt Kate"

    We miss you! Praying for you as you settle in. Thanks for the update! I hope your fruit trees produce a bountiful harvest. :)

    Love, Meg & Josh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THIS!!!!!! Hahaha! What precious little nieces I have :)
      Love you guys! Maybe we can viber with you soon :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting, Kate. We at RiverWalk are following you two closely and continue to lift you up to the Throne! Jay Plank

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED reading this! I am so excited for you guys and praying for you daily. It truly is an amazing thing you are doing, and I'm sure it will be such a blessing to both you and the girls you will be working with, as well as everyone around you!

    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting, it made me feel like Ghana wasn't so far away after all :) I can't wait to see your pictures, it sounds like you guys are adjusting well and quickly!! You are in our prayers. I noticed everyones posts were around 7AM, of course mine logs in after 12pm...typical. Love Arete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh Arete, you always make me smile :) Tell your family hello for me!! :)

      Delete
  7. Ohhh boy, it went through at 9:12, I feel like less of a looser now :) How many hours ahead are you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Arete,It would help if you wouldn't have misspelled loser :D You know I love you! K&L are 4 hours ahead of us so if you message them during your productive hours of 8pm-1am they'll be sleeping BUT they'll see yours first when they wake up, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ummm, this is me, Jenni (now who's the loser?)
      Kate I hope this is making you smile, we'll try to not do ALL our talking via this blog!

      Delete
    2. Can we get spell check on this blog so I do not continue to make a fool of myself :) And you are right Jenni, it's 12:15 am and I am at the computer trying to be productive. I was thinking I should fold laundry next. Guess it's 4:15 in Ghana (yes I scrolled to the top of the page to check the spelling of Ghana), so let me be the first to say good morning Kate and Landon :)

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness, I didn't see any of these till now! Thank you all so much for your prayers and support! We love you all and are so thankful for you :)

      Delete
  9. Your 4A family misses you and prays for you! So glad to hear all is going well.

    ReplyDelete